In this episode, we have the pleasure of interviewing Lily Nichols about nutrition in pregnancy- and some may consider this one a little controversial.
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition. Her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and unapologetically critical of outdated dietary guidelines. She is the author of two bestselling books, Real Food for Pregnancy and Real Food for Gestational Diabetes.
In this interview, we cover
- where Lily developed her passion for pre/postnatal nutrition.
- how her approach to prenatal nutrition differs from what we've all been hearing for years (and why some of what we've been told just doesn't make sense!)
- what some of the things that she finds women need to add to their diet in pregnancy that perhaps they are missing out on
- how postnatal nutrition may support recovery of connective tissue in the mother as well as breastfeeding.
- some tips on how an expectant mom can plan ahead for her postpartum recovery so she doesn’t have to worry about shopping and cooking right after giving birth
This interview was a cracker and we both learnt a lot from Lily!
Please check out some her free articles and considering buying her books if you are pregnant or have gestational diabetes!